Aubiose: The Original Hemp Horse Bedding
Chanvra Materials is the US distributor for the Aubiose hemp horse bedding brand. A completely different kind of bedding , Aubiose is revolutionizing the horse care industry and is providing many horse owners with savings in time, labour, and money. The bedding works by soaking up liquids in a small area, at the base of the bed. The capped layer that forms over this saturated material reduces the chance of wet bedding being mixed in with the dry. The top layer of the bed remains warm, soft and dry for the horse. This high performance bedding can be maintained with minimal maintenance. Once the initial bed is setup (see below), add as little as 1 bag per month to maintain. (Usage will depend on a variety of factors. High end competing horses who spend 24/7 in their stalls should expect higher usage; closer to a bale per week).
Bedding Set Up Guide
1. Start with a clean stable and around 7 to 8 bales of Aubiose to create your bed (in an average 12 x 12 stable). If you do use less bedding to start,then the wet will appear quicker and result in more bedding being used further down the line.
2. Dampen the bed by spraying with a hose or by using approximately one gallon of water per bale as this helps the bed to settle and create a secure base.
3. Horse/ponies are not generally tempted to eat Aubiose but as they are of an inquisitive nature we advise that when Aubiose is first used, the bed be sprayed with a weak solution of a safe disinfectant and that the horse/pony has access to it’s normal ration of forage. Persistent bed eating may cause colic.
Less is More With Aubiose!
4. Remove any droppings twice/three times a day, and lightly rake the top of the bed to keep its shape.
5. Every five to ten days (depending on the horse/pony) remove the saturated material, then top up with fresh Aubiose – average requirement is half to one bale per week.
6. Aubiose can be used as a deep litter bed. Remove droppings two or three times daily, lightly rake the top of the bed. Add fresh Aubiose as required.
7. DISPOSAL: Because Aubiose is so absorbent, there will be less material removed from the stable, thus reducing the area needed for muck storage. Aubiose is made from young plants, and will break down rapidly to form a very valuable compost.
Aubiose USA: Visit our website dedicated exclusively to Aubiose.
TAG Equine: One of the best resources for learning how to set up an Aubiose Horse Bedding system properly, Tim Gaskell aka “Tim the Clipper Guy” is a well renowned groom and official Aubiose distributor.
Liberty Farms: A fully sustainable horse farm, featuring our talented ambassador Katrin Derreumaux and her KD Dressage program.